The Complexity Science SIG seeks to promote the application of complexity science principles to the conduct and interpretation of primary care research. Although the SIG meets only once each year, the SIG communicates thropuhout the year via the Complexity Science listserv.
Meetings of the SIG during NAPCRG's annual conference focus on reviewing complexity science offerings at the conference, and sharing current and planned complexity science studies underway. The SIG has developed a draft curriculum on complexity science for NAPCRG. In addition, the SIG proposes to conduct a preconference workshop on the principles and applications of complexity science as well as a forum to share the status of studies underway, seeking input on methodological and funding challenges. A major development is that J. Sturmberg is leading the development of a BMC journal on Complexity In health Care, which will include several SIG members on its editorial board.
To date, the SIG has achieved the following:
- Establishment of a complexity science listserv
- Annual tracks of paper and poster complexity science presentations at NAPCRG
- Development of a draft complexity science curriculum
- Identification of a cadre of reviewers in complexity science
- Progress in the development of the Complexity In Health Care journal